Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Update on 9 yr. old boy w/brain tumor from his mom.

Dear Bev, 
I wanted to say thank you so very very very much for everything you have done! Andy hasn't had a break from the bitter cold this past week and he loves being able to go outside and jump on the trampoline! I mean LOVES IT! When it is below 45 degrees he has to wear his oxygen tank backpack so that he has continuous flow of oxygen. The cold makes his heart work harder to circulate his blood which then brings down his Spo or saturated percentage of oxygen and if your body goes long periods of time below 88% you can suffer from permanent brain damage if you go below 70% your looking at heart attack or stoke and possible failure of major organs. Andrew when he got diagnosed was at 88% and we didn't know for how long he had been that low. The reason his heart was affect by this brain tumor is the tumor is inside the ventricle lining of his choroid plexus one and it began obstructing the out flow of blood supply to his brain causing him to have severe migraines. Well when your body is in a lot of pain your blood pressure rises and Andrew had a heart murmur at birth which we were told closed when in fact it had not, the high blood pressure caused that heart murmur to tear open. The heart surgeon said till the brain tumor is resolved there is no point in fixing his heart cause it will happen again the brain surgeon says till his heart is strong and can handle what I need to do I won't do surgery? Catch 22 about sums it up! What I am trying to do is explain the need for oxygen so hopefully I have done that, Andy had his regular appointment on Friday and his cardiologist said that Andrew can now go outside and play without his oxygen in 35 degree or above weather but has to be checked everything 30 minutes which is huge for us here. Then Friday my husband who is deployed to Korea said our paperwork came back we will be moving soon to warm weather and sea level so Andrew will be off oxygen permanently. Awesome news! Some how (prayers heard and prayers answered) us having Andy off oxygen means his heart is stronger and it means they will no longer call this tumor an inoperable situation. It is still a very very risky surgery and we have been advised against it. We have listened up to now but I think we should explore the other options. If any child doesn't deserve this fate its Andrew. If I could trade places with him I'd do it in a heart beat. He is truly the most genuine child you could ever meet. His laugh is so hearty and contagious. He cheated death at birth, born at 33 weeks gestation and not breathing, cord was wrapped around his neck. They told us not to get our hopes up that they would be able to get him to breathe. As they began to wish Andrew out of the room calling a code blue to the NICU neonatal intensive care unit my husband in toe just as the door was about closed I heard a cry from the hallway and I knew then Andrew was going to be okay. I know GOD doesn't give us crosses that we cannot bear, he gives us hardships cause he knows we will handle them in the manner he knows we are capable of. I don't know if I have mentioned today you that I lost one child when she was 14 months old. We was also a premature baby at 26 weeks but she lived a short while and then the Lord called her home where she suffers no more. It's not Andrew I worry about handling the scary possible outcomes or myself but rather his sisters. They are the ones that concern me as tomorrow whether this is going too break them or make them. I pray everyday for my children too have one more day of memories and I pray for my girls too find peace in the possible outcome with Andrew, I do ask the Lord too bless them together have that peace before, should he decided today bring Andrew home so that they will be alright from this experience. I hope I have helped you understand why it is that I am so grateful that you have placed my son onto a blog for prayers cause I totally believe in the power of prayers and can see that if Andrew was reduced on his oxygen needs and then we get the great news of warm climate and sea level altitude eliminating Andrews need for oxygen permanently then I can see the miracles from prayers and if there is anyone that you wish for me too add too our prayer list at our church I will most certainly do that. I thank you again for you all praying for my son, he says thank you too. He said sure is nice not having too swing with his oxygen on cause it makes him unbalanced. Lol Thanks Bev your a wonderful lady and all your efforts are going too be rewarded too you one day. Have a wonderful evening and post on your blog that in 12 hour's span we got two sets of fantastic news for Andrew that their prayers made it possible. My gratitude is unmeasurable thanks again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment