Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"As I've Aged"

Ladies,

Several of you asked for a copy of the poem that Pat Bristow had scrapbooked (rather elegantly, I must say!) into the white frame we have had  on display in the store.  Pat abbreviated it a bit for her purposes, but here is a copy of the entire writing.

Thanx,
Bev


As
I've aged, I've
become kinder to myself, and
less critical of
myself. I've become my
 own friend.


I have seen too
many dear friends leave this world too
soon;

before they understood
the great freedom that
 comes with aging.


Whose business is it if
I choose to read or play on the
computer until 4
AM or sleep until noon? I will dance
with
myself to those wonderful tunes of the
60s &
70's, and if I, at the same time, wish
to weep
 over a lost love
..
I will.

I
will walk the beach
in a swimsuit that is
stretched over a
bulging body, and will dive
into the waves with
abandon if I choose to,
despite the pitying
glances from the jet
 set.


They, too, will get old.
 I
know I am sometimes
forgetful. But there
again, some of life
is just as well
forgotten. And I
eventually remember the
 important things.


Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not
break when you lose a loved one, or
when a
child suffers, or even when somebody's
beloved
 pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts
are what give us strength and
understanding and
 compassion.

A heart never broken is
pristine and sterile
and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I
am so blessed to have
lived long enough to have
my hair turn gray,
and to have my youthful
laughs be forever
etched into deep grooves on my
 face.

So
many have never
laughed, and so many have died
before their hair
could turn
 silver.

As
you get older, it is
easier to be
positive. You care
less about what other
people think. I don't
question myself
anymore. I've even
earned the right to be wrong.


So, to answer your
question, I
 like being old. It has set me free.


I like the person I have
become. I am not
going to live forever, but while I am
still
here, I will not waste time lamenting
what could
have been, or worrying about what will
be.

And I shall eat dessert
every single day
  (if I feel like it).

No comments:

Post a Comment